Thursday, February 12, 2015

Live Intentionally



As the new year arrived I began to think about new years resolutions (who doesn't right?) However, I didn’t like the idea of picking a typical resolution (i.e lose weight, eat healthy, or read more) They seemed, to me, too general. Anything that would fit into the format of a resolution was something I was already working on. I have been working on eating healthier for numerous months, for example. I wanted something that I could turn into a lifestyle change. Something that had the potential to not only change my life for the better but also have a positive impact on those around me. While keeping this in my thoughts January 1st came and went, leaving myself without any sort of goal. However, not long into January I realized what I wanted my goal to be. It took a combination of my Zumba instructor's anti-resolution speech and a church sermon to figure it out, believe it or not.
I realized that 2015 would be the year I began to live more intentionally. Now I know this may look different to other people due to the fact that it’s such a general statement. For me living intentionally means many things. It means taking initiative in my relationships (family, friends, and otherwise) and being a good friend, daughter, sister, etc. This may mean texting a friend I haven’t talked to in a while and catch up, or be there to listen to my mom or sister when something is bothering them. I’m not saying I never did any of this before, but now I want to make a conscious effort to do it more often. Living intentionally means re-evaluating the activities I’m involved in to see what's really important and potentially letting go of some of them (although I haven’t given anything up just yet.) Living intentionally also means making an even more conscious effort to live a more healthy lifestyle. Now, I discussed before that I am already working on this, but I want to continue forward with my success. I think that some may look at this as confusing, but I really think it’s something I really needed to think about.
I know that it is now into February and it’s kind of weird to be talking about new year’s resolutions and a 2015 goal this late in the year, however, because I have had some time to put this goal into practice so I thought it was good to wait to post this. I now have the ability to speak to my experience with it so far. The most success I have seen is with my personal relationships. I feel like prior to the new year I wasn’t so much cold towards others but reserved. I think that I was afraid to do or say things as far as relationships are concerned because I thought that there was always the possibility that my efforts would cause negative consequences. Now, the difference isn’t that that possibility isn’t there anymore, the difference is I make the effort anyway. The main thing I have been doing is texting people and checking in on them. I feel like it’s a good way to reach out to people and it shows that you still care about the relationship and are still willing to maintain the relationship. I feel like this has caused my friendships to grow.
I really hope that this post has inspired y’all. Even if this isn’t something you feel like is applicable to your life, I still hope it inspired y’all to have some sort of life goal. I would really love for anyone who has a good, inspired by this post or otherwise, to post it in the comments. I think it would be awesome to see what other people are working on as well.

XOXO
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment