Monday, March 7, 2016

Letting Go of High School Insecurity


Hey everyone! Today I wanted to talk about something that's been so important to me during my freshman year of college- letting go of high school insecurity.

When I was in high school I was highly sensitive to what others said to me and what I believed others opinions of me were. I found my self deeply affected by the words of the people around me- no matter if the words were good or bad-positive or negative. 

And as we probably know, high school kids aren't always the nicest people. So I was around my fair share of negativity- even some I created myself if I'm being truly honest. This left me feeling really insecure through out my senior year. I felt like maybe I didn't have any true friends after all. I felt like maybe I wasn't good enough after all. I felt like maybe the college I had chosen and the major I was pursuing wouldn't ever matter. I felt like maybe I'd always feel over stressed. 

But this past year I've really been digging deep and letting go of that high school insecurity. Because in college you're no longer defined by what you did, who you were, or even who you were around in high school. That fact is truly liberating. When you get college, it's less about the competition and more about all going through it all together. You have full control over the people you talk to and the people you don't. 

I've learned I have become more myself this school year alone than I had in all 4 years of my high school career. I've learned that my best is good enough. I've learned that I can make friends and that they are more supportive than I've ever imagined. I've learned that around every corner is an experience that renews my passion for teaching. 

I've decided to be deeply rooted in positively rather than let negativity control me. Now, this isn't to say I don't have a long way to go- but look how far I've come.

So to anyone still in high school struggling with insecurity or those out of high school still working through the process- have hope. You aren't defined by those insecurities. Be confident in the amazing person you know you are. Let it go. 

XOXO
Faith

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete