Wednesday, May 11, 2016

5 Tips for a Successful College Orientation


Hey everyone! Today I really wanted to talk about college orientation. As the seniors are gearing up to graduate, many are also preparing for college- that means they will most likely be attending college orientation soon. So, here are a few of my tips for making your college orientation experience a success.

At UNC Charlotte (the university I attend), they require all incoming students to attend a two day event they call S.O.A.R. You spend two days, and one night, on campus learning a ton of stuff about the rules on campus, where things are on campus, and what kind of clubs or extra curricular activities are available on campus. You also sign up for fall classes and get your ID made. However, every college orientation is different, so everyone's experience will be different. Please keep that in mind with these tips!



Be prepared
College orientation includes a lot of paperwork and such before hand, like immunization records and payments. So make sure everything is squared away before you show up on campus. But this also applies to your time on campus too. If your orientation requires you to spend the night, bring everything you know you'll need.

Don't be afraid to make friends
At S.O.A.R- you spend most of the day in specific groups based on your major. You're groups includes other freshman who applied under the same (or similar) major as you as well as an Orientation Counselor. Therefore it's a great time to meet friends. I met some of my current friends, including my best friend, at S.O.A.R. You also have time to meet people outside of the group too. Just remember that everyone's there to make friends too- if you're a friend to others your sure to find some people you really connect with.

Relax
College orientation is full of a ton of new things and a ton of new information. And for me, this was very overwhelming. So don't forget to just take a deep breath during the experience. Take everything step by step- that's totally ok.

Have fun + participate 
Usually, college orientation will work in some fun stuff. At S.O.A.R they do a program at the end of the first day called Niner Night. At Niner Night, a ton of organizations set up table around the basketball stadium. The freshman are able to walk around, talk to people, get free stuff, and find organizations they are interested in. Don't forget to have fun with this kind of stuff. The majority of college orientation can be rather boring, so have fun every little chance you get!

Be patient + positive
Sometimes the college orientation process can be very frustrating. Whether it be with the rules you have to follow or the other freshman around you.  It can be a hard job to make sure all the incoming freshman have a good time and get all the information they need. It can also be a scary experience for incoming freshman. It's important to remember that everyone is doing the best they can. Being patient and having a positive attitude will allow you to have a much better experience!

I hope these tips help any incoming freshman headed to college orientation! Let me know if you have any specific questions.
And college kids- what do y'all think? Do you have any tips to add?

XOXO
Faith

4 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I had these when I was a freshman lol.

    Alix | www.apintsizedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I totally understand! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I wish I had read this when I was a freshman! I didn't go to my college's orientation day because I was working, and I deeply regret it! It would have been a lot easier to make friends. Great tips!

    Amelie | A Wanderer's Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! & I think orientation is such a great place to meet friends!

      Delete