Saturday, November 26, 2016

College Update

Hey everyone! Today I really wanted to just sit down and update y'all all about what's been happening in my college life this semester. I'm still on Thanksgiving break which means I am so close to the end of the semester- yay! So I thought this would be a really good time to go through all of this with y'all! I really like sharing my college experiences with y'all so I hope you enjoy this update!

Dropping A Class
At the beginning of the semester I was planning on taking a class that would count towards my intended minor. I got the textbook we needed before the first day of class and was honestly kind of excited to take it. However, when I got in there I quickly realized the class was not going to be something I enjoyed. The course content wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. The professor told us that nearly every grade in that class was from group projects and that people usually only got 70s on the exams. In addition, I just wasn't a fan of the professor, I could just tell the teaching style and my learning style weren't going to match up. So by the end of the first class, I really wanted to drop the course. So I looked at all the planning I have done for later in the my college career and figured out that if I did drop this course, I had time later in college to take a different course for my minor (this one wasn't required, I had chosen to take it). I was also still going to be a full time student at 12 credit hours if I did drop it. So I decided that the best decision for me was to drop it. It actually worked out much better having a slightly lighter class load this semester due to the fact that I work every afternoon as a nanny once I'm out of class for the day. By the way, let me know if y'all would like to see a post sometime about dropping classes in college!

Declaring My Minor
This semester I pretty much focused on finishing my general education requirements and getting a really good start on taking class for my intended minor. I wasn't officially accepted into my major until this June so I was unable to take an of my upper division classes, so I ended up taking my last two general education requirements and 2 Sociology classes for my minor. So about half way through the semester I figured it was time to officially declare my minor. So that's exactly what I did! I'm now officially pursuing a minor in Sociology along with my major in Special Education. It was honestly a super easy process for me (but every program is different). I'm honestly so proud of myself for finally getting everything together to declare Sociology as my minor because I had a really hard time my freshman year deciding on my minor and changed my mind about 5 times. By the way, let me know if y'all would like to see a post sometime about deciding on your minor!

Delight Ministries
Something new that happened this semester was that I joined the Delight Ministries chapter on my campus! If you don't know what Delight is- it's an awesome ministry for college women that focuses on devotions, community, and vulnerability through sharing our stories with each other. The chapter on my campus started back in January and I had wanted to join from the beginning, but put it off last semester because I had a lot going on with my classes and I was honestly scared to join a group of girls that I knew very little about. But this semester I took a little leap of faith and joined. I am so glad I did! It's been an awesome to get to know more girls who also love Jesus and get to share with each other. I really feel like it's helped in my walk with the Lord. I'm so thankful for it already and I cannot wait to continue with the group next semester and beyond!

Finals/ End of the Semester
My last day of class is December 7th (by little sisters birthday- Shoutout to Hailey!) and it cannot come fast enough for me. This semester has been a little rough just because there been a lot of newness for me- upper level sociology classes for example- as well as some stress and frustration. Luckily, I'm slowly finishing up all the assignments I have left in the semester and beginning to prepare for finals (which are the following week are the last day). I know I'll probably say this at the end of every semester but it is come and gone so fast! It really feels like it was just summertime a few weeks ago! However, like I basically already said- I am every excited to be done with the semester, have a great break, and start off the spring semester. Please just pray that the last few weeks and finals go well for me!

Classes for Spring
At the beginning of November I was able to register for the Spring semester. It is such a stressful experience at my school because there are so many students and classes fill up so fast. You really have to be prepared in advanced and also come up with a back up plan in case a class you planned on signing up for is already full by the time it's your turn. Luckily, registration ended up working out really well for me and I got into some upper division education classes as well as some for my minor. I'm honestly very excited for next semester now. If you're interested in knowing exactly what classes I'll be taking next semester- be sure to keep a look out because I'll be doing a post all about that closer to the start of the semester (most likely in early January!)

I really hope you enjoyed this college update and I hope it gave you some good insight into what's been going on in my life as far as college is concerned. I realized I hadn't talked about school on Life With Faith in a while and I thought now was a good time to finally do it again. Let me know in the comments how school have been going on with you at school!


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are doing amazing things!! :) I wish you the best as you continue on this incredible journey!

    xx Alyssa
    www.thewisewillow.com

    ReplyDelete