Saturday, November 12, 2016

My Experience Moving Cross Country


Hey everyone! Today I really wanted to talk about my experience with moving cross country. In 2010, I moved over 1,500 miles from the Denver, CO area to the Charlotte, NC area. It was honestly a crazy experience, so I really wanted to share it with all of my readers!

A little background before I get into the move itself, the reason why we ended up moving is honestly kind of a long story (and this post will probably pretty long already) so long story short, we moved for my dads work. It was never planned to move to North Carolina specifically, but throughout the job search this is where my dad ended up getting the best offer, so that's where my parents decided we'd go. However, North Carolina wasn't completely foreign to us. My mom was born in North Carolina and my dad and traveled here for work before. But my sister and I had never been until the fall before we moved.

My dad actually accepted the new job the summer before we officially moved. So that July my dad moved to the Greensboro, NC area alone while my mom, sister and I stayed in CO for one more school year. We had this arrangement because we had only knew we were moving for sure at the end of June, and my parents thought it was too fast to move the entire family just a month later. So while my dad lived in an apartment and working in NC, my sister and I were going to school (we were in 5th and 7th grades respectively) and my mom was working at a TA at the middle school I went to in CO. So all school year this is how things were, with the family living in two separate states. But we did see each other multiple times throughout. My mom, sister, and I went to NC for fall break and spring break. My dad came back to CO for Christmas.

So it was a crazy school year to say the least, but we were able to ring in 2010 with a pretty successful year behind us and a pretty optimistic outlook on the year (and move) to come. However, 2010 ended up being the craziest year in my life. We put our house in CO up on the market and it sold in just over a week. Which was awesome because I think one of my parents biggest fears with the move was that we would be unable to sell the house. But that left an issue because my mom, sister, and I weren't moving until mid June. So my parents negotiated to push out the closing until April, then we moved into an extended stay (similar to a hotel) for the last 2 months in CO.

In the midst of all this, my dad got in a motorcycle accident two days before my  mom, sister, and I were going to fly out to spend our spring break in NC. It's a very long story, but the short version is this- he was mostly fine apart from some road rash, but when he went down on the motorcycle a bone in his knee was shattered. It took multiple surgeries, 6 weeks in bed, physical therapies, and more to get him to a place where he could walk again. But the main thing is that he was alive.

Finally, June came along and it was time to move. Because of my dads accident, my uncle was tasking with driving a mini van full of stuff, my mom, sister, me, and our dog from CO to NC. They picked me up from my last day of 7th grade and we drove away, headed to NC. When we first drove away I was sad, I'll admit it. I was sad to be leaving the place I spent the first 13 years of my life, the place that I knew, the place that definitely wasn't perfect but it was comfortable because I knew it and it knew me. I also feared the unknown. I honestly didn't know the new life that was waiting for me in NC. The drive to NC ended up becoming one of my favorite memories. It was 3 days of laughs. We were in constant contact with my dad and other family members and my uncle turned anything he could into a joke. I'd never been a fan of road trips, and I probably never will be, but I loved this one.

So now we were in NC, but the story of our move isn't over. We had my dads apartment in the Greensboro area we had to move him out of and a new house in the Charlotte area to move into. So one early morning, my family and lots of my dads coworkers rallied together to get everything out of the 2nd story apartment. Then we hauled everything almost 2 hours away to the new house where my moms cousin and my dads boss helped us move everything into the new house.

Over the summer we slowly unpacked boxes, decorated rooms, and settles into the new house.  My nana and popa even visited for a little while to help us with everything. It was a busy summer to say the least. This part of the experience was fun in some ways. I never had my own bedroom before so it was super fun to decorate my room. I got to choose what colors to paint the walls, what bedspread I wanted, and everything else going into my room. But I had never unpacked a house before, so having a whole house of stuff to unpack was stressful.

Then as the summer ended, we prepared to go back to school at the new school in North Carolina. We did all the paperwork, we took A.I.G tests, and even visited the school a few times. This was the part I was most afraid of, I had never been the new kid. In CO I went to school with a lot of the same kids from Kindergarten to when I moved after 7th grade. So I was really nervous. And honestly, that first year was difficult and it really took a lot of adjustment. I had to go into a school where I knew no one. I had to be the "new kid."

Moving cross country was hard and it was messy and it was crazy. But now that I've lived in NC for 6 years and am able to look back on the whole experience. I'd glad it happened and I'm glad I moved. My family needed it. I needed it. I really want to share with y'all some lessons I learned through the move, but I didn't want this post to be any longer than it already is, so I'm going to do a separate blog post on that sometime soon so be on the look out for that! & let me know in the comments bellow if you have any thoughts on my experience or you have a cross country move experience for yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment