Monday, December 19, 2016

Hand Lettering: Tips, Tricks, and How To

Hey everyone! Welcome to another Blogmas post! The closer we get to Christmas the more excited I get! So, there is just a little bit of a back story to this post. All throughout my life I’ve had neat hand writing but I’ve never been super artistic. Like I’ve honestly always struggled to draw a straight line. For a while I’ve had the desire to learn how to hand letter, but always forgot about it because I figured I’d never be able to learn.  I just thought it looked so beautiful and I wanted to be able to write the way I see things written on Pinterest are.  So, one Sunday morning about a month or so ago I decided to look at some tutorials from Pinterest and finally give it a try. What I found out that day was that it isn’t as difficult as it looks. And now I personally believe that everyone can hand letter if they take the right steps. Today I’m going through my tips, tricks, and even how to hand letter. I’m hoping this gives y’all a simple and easy guide to starting hand lettering for yourself.

All you really need to be able to hand letter is some paper and a pen!
But before I get into the “How to” I’m going to share just a few of my tips and tricks!

1.       Use a fine point/ fine tip pen. This just makes the detail work that goes into hand lettering much easier to accomplish. I’d also noticed that it looks much cleaner with a fine point than when I use a thicker point. However, apart from that suggestion, I believe most pens work perfectly fine for hand lettering; there’s no need to go out and buy anything expensive.

2.       Slow Down. I think this is super important because I’m someone who always goes way to fast when working on a craft project and inevitably messes up.

3.       Be patient and remember that practice makes perfect. You won’t be perfect at hand lettering the second you start, I definitely wasn’t. So, you really have to be patient with yourself and know that you’ll mess up sometimes but to keep practicing anyway.

Now, let’s get to the “How to Hand Letter.”
1.       Start by writing whatever word you’d like in regular cursive. (You can always add a little decorative flair to certain letters if you’d like, but it’s definitely not required.) I'm going to use the word "love" just as an example!



2.       Add weight to the down strokes (or the places your pen went downward while making a letter.) You can see where some places now have double lines while some places still only have one.



3.       You finish by filling in the weight you added in the step right before.


I really hope you enjoyed this post where I shared everything I know about hand letter and I also hope that you found it helpful! Have you wanted to try hand lettering before? Do you already know how? Did you use this post to help you start? Let me know in the comments bellow!


No comments:

Post a Comment