Thursday, May 18, 2017

Halfway There Reflection



Hey everyone! So last week I finished my sophomore year of college and now I am officially a junior in college. It's so crazy to me to think that I'm halfway to completing my degree and it blows my mind that two whole years of my college experience is already over. Something I'm super proud of is the fact that I ended this semester on Chancellor's List again. I was expecting to get two Bs out of the five classes I took this spring, and I was okay with that and would've been happy with that. However, when I checked my final grades online the other day I ended up getting all As! I'm super proud of myself but I know it wasn't just me, I know I'd be nowhere without my faith in the Lord and every blessing he's working into my journey each day. Anyway, I really wanted to sit down and take the time to talk about and reflect on this halfway milestone before it got too far in my rear view mirror and before I got caught up with next semester.

I wanted to start by saying that I would have never imagined I'd be where I am today two years into college. If I was told back during my senior year of high school that this is where I would be at the end of my sophomore year I probably would've been surprised. I've met so many great people. I've learned a lot about two of my greatest passions (special education and sociology) and I know that knowledge will only continue the grow. I've learned a lot about myself and about life (like to relax and enjoy the moment). I helped found a sorority that has already begun to do big things. I've made Chancellor's list and Dean's list every semester. I've seen different schools through clinical observations, I've learned the juggle of school and work, I've bought myself a car.

It's been two years that have been so packed full of so many things. I'm not going to lie, it's been a roller coaster of fun, stress, happiness, fear, and probably every other emotion felt all in the same week. And it's definitely not always easy. But my parents told me this semester something that had really stuck with me since. They reminded me that "your journey isn't supposed to be easy right now." I've really thought about this while writing this reflection and as I go into the summer. I realize the statement is so true, but I didn't quite agree with it when I first heard about it. But it's true. My journey isn't supposed to be easy right now and the more I think about it the more I realize that my journey is never meant to be easy. It's meant to be fulfilling. It's meant to shed light on the Lord.

If I made any mistakes these past two years, it was the fact that I spent a lot of time in fear that my experience wasn't "perfect"and just taking life too seriously, forgetting to enjoy the moment in a lot of situations. However, I don't regret anything I felt. I know it was important to my journey. I know all of it was needed to learn more about myself and about life. I needed to fear to realize I had nothing to fear. I needed to stress about little things and the future to realize I need to enjoy the moment. These "mistakes" are the best or "prettiest" part of the first half of my college journey, but it was just as important as the Instagram worthy parts.

Now that the first half is over and the first part is getting ready to begin (after a summer of pool days and long, hot afternoons as a nanny) I'm excited. I'm optimistic. I'm believing that the Lord will take what he's taught me through these last two years and all that he's blessed me with to do bigger and better things in the next two years. I feel better prepared with the experiences I've had under my belt. I think I'm more equipped to let go of the unknown of the future and really enjoy the last half of my college years. In the next two years, I want to love others each more. I want to laugh even more. I want to write even more. I want to learn as much about exceptional learners and how to teach them as I possibly can.

I really hope that no mater where you are in your education or life experience, take a minute to reflect. It's been so awesome to be able to do that for y'all today and I hope y'all enjoy an insight to how I'm feeling halfway through through college. Are you in college? What year are you? I'd love to know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment